Thursday, May 28, 2009

12/29/2008

Aloha
It seems strange to be writing when I just got to call home last Thursday, but it is great as always to be able to communicate with everyone, and I know not everyone was able to be present when I called home.
Life in Kauai continues on. The work right around Christmas was a little slower with so many people having families come, finishing up Christmas stuff, etc. We continue to work with our investigators and try to do anything we can to help them.
Jack is still progressing along, but is taking things at his own pace. Last week we started to bring up some points about the Plan of Salvation that he is having troubles with. He has asked us to work with him at his own pace with things, which we are happy to do. The greatest part is that most of the time he finds answers to his questions on his own. Right now I am just hoping we can
encourage him to read the Book of Mormon as much as he reads the bible. He is having a hard time fully accepting it, and doesn't seem to realize that reading it will allow him to gain a testimony in it, but we are working with him. He did make one big leap yesterday though. He has been reading a more modern translation of the bible (meaning it uses the more common words of today) but realized last night that some things have been changed or altered (such as
"bodies Celestial" says "heavenly bodies") and has decided to read the King James version now. Hurray!!
We also spent a lot of time with Jack on Christmas Eve. We went over in the morning, and then went back for a get-together they were having in honor of Sandy's daughter (the one who commited suicide). We sang a song (where can I turn for peace) while we were there, and everyone was touched by it. I don't think all the other people there will run to join the church, but I think they understand more that we are human, and that we are doing this because we love people.
Christmas day was wonderful. We spent almost the entire day with a cool member family in our ward, the Allens. They have a beautiful riverside lot that their house is on, so I was able to make my call home from their balcony while staring out at the river and the palm trees swaying in the breeze with the sun shinning on them. It has been weird not having a change in seasons, but I must admit I was not missing the blizzard I heard about back home. It was really nice to be
able to talk to those that were there (sorry for those that weren't able to make it). I am thinking that for mother's day, I want to spend more time with personal conversations, and less speaker phone. It just seemed a little sporatic at times, but it really was wonderful to talk to and hear everyone's voices. Apparently I sound a lot like Tyler now, but also talk a lot like the people out here.
On Christmas we also went for a really nice bike ride down a nice path by the beach. We rode this path on Thanksgiving as well, but this time we went a bit further than we did the last time. It was a beautiful day and a wonderful bike ride. I was able to talk to brother allen for a bit of the ride as well, which was nice. He gave me some advice for how to work better with Elder Higley, and I'm trying to impliment it.
The rest of the week continued on, and we continued to work. We had a lesson with Ty on Saturday and reschedualed her baptism for January 23. She knows what she needs to do, so we just need to encourage her to do it. She is still having a bit of a hard time, but she still likes the lessons and she knows it is true.
With church starting at 1 next year, she should be able to come and continue to progress towards the 23rd. Church on Sunday was packed. We figure it was just because of all of the visitors for Christmas, but whatever the reason, there were more people in the chapel than I would have ever imagined. Three people we were really excited about were Jack, Sandy, and a lady named Brenda. Brenda is dating a member of our ward who divorced his wife a couple of years ago. He divorced her because she is completely loony. He actually tried to stay with her for 4 years of her being crazy before he couldn't take it anymore. Well, Aunty Milie (the crazy one) doesn't like Brenda and makes her life.... interesting. Brenda is good friends with a lady in our ward (Sis Walker) who invited her to come last week.
Well, Sis Walker was in Honolulu yesterday, and Brenda was still at church. I was so surprised and happy. She is very interested in the gospel, likes everything she has heard so far, and really wants to take the discussions. Golden!
So, things continue to go well in Kauai. Elder Higley and I are having a few issues, but we will work them out. I guess I am a little to much like my father in a "rebellious to get things done" sense. I want to be obedient, but if I feel doing something out of the ordinary, or even slightly against the rules is going to be benefitial, I do it. Hopefully that won't drive my mission president completely crazy. I'll admit I don't feel quite qualified to be training, but there must be a reason that I am.
I also want to tell Aunt Carol that I am really sorry that I forgot to call you and tell you when I got my call. I'm afraid I thought you got an email from my parents and I didn't think about it. I'm so sorry.
Thank you all for your continued prayers and support (especially Grandma Wickham). I am doing the best I can to be the best missionary I can be. The church is true, and the spirit guides and directs us. The Lord loves us, and helps us through whatever trials we have in our life. I love you all.
Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment