Thursday, May 28, 2009

12/23/2008

Aloha from Lihue
Well, today I am actually down in the biggest town on the island, and their library is much nicer. It has about twice as many computers, and they are a lot faster. I realized I will never be able to use anything less than broadband again because I am too impatient. Oh well...
My new companion's name is Elder Higley. He is from Preston, Idaho, and is very eager to work. In fact, almost a little too much. He did a lot of work with the missionaries from home, and seems to feel extremely qualified. He does good work, but it has been an interesting couple of days trying to get him better acquainted with Hawaii. We are working hard, and staying busy, but he feels like we are just shooting the breeze with the members and they will hate it. Well,
at least on Kauai, members like you to come by, talk story, and show your love for them. Then they feel comfortable telling you who their friends are. Gotta love the Aloha spirit.
But things really are starting to come along. The first day was rocky, but it has settled out quite a bit since then, and we don't seem to be having too many problems right now. I have realized that he fits in with the general sterotype for greenies. I love him, and don't want to crush his spirit though, so I have been doing things as gently and lovingly as I possibly can.
I must admit, I have been really stressed the last couple of days, and I know the Lord has been giving me strength. The baptism went well on Friday for the most part. The spirit was definately present (though I had to take time and relax to feel it). Jack was able to come, and he definatley felt the spirit. The problems came from the fact that our ward mission leader didn't do anything except show up and conduct, which left me to find speakers, type up a program,
clean and fill up the font, etc. I'm afraid I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off, and the font didn't get started soon enough, so we stalled for a while. Francis had knee replacement surgery recently, which made the actual baptising lots of fun. Lets just say I was joking with him afterwards that he waited so long we had to do it four times to make sure he was
good.... Or rather four because his feet kept coming up and the font was still a little low...
But, it went well, and we are so happy for Francis. Saturday night was the ward Christmas party, which was a blast. We had prime rib, and it was amazing. Then came my solo at the end. I felt it could have been better, but I usually do. It did go very well, and I brought tears to the activities chairwoman who arranged everything. She actually called me shortly before I started this email to thank me again. Overall, it was a good night.
It is weird to think of Christmas already. While listening to the Christmas CDs my mom sent me, the song, "It's beginning to Look a lot like Christmas" came on, and I could only shake my head and say that it isn't at all. It is still in the 70's outside... like it has been forever. I am definatley looking forward to Christmas though, and calling home. I should be calling home shortly after 10
A.M. utah time (as we are going to our members house around 7 here) but we may talk to them for a bit before we call home.
So, life continues on Hawaii. I promise I am not getting a big-head training. One of the Elders I came out with is training his second greenie this transfer, and another from our district is training as well. We have a really young mission right now, but I am sure the Lord has prepared us. I pray every day for guidance, especially with this new responsibility. The gospel is true, and I know the Lord is helping me. Elder Higley is going to be a fantastic missionary. I just hope that he learns to "takit eazy, bra" soon. I love you all. Thank you for your continued support and prayers.
Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment