Sunday, May 24, 2009

09/8/2008

I realize I haven't really said much about my current situation in Hawaii as everyone keeps asking about my location, companion, etc...
I am in Waipahu (why-pa-who) on the island of Oahu (O-a-who), which is the island with Honolulu on it. We live in a small little house thing behind the bishop of the Somonan ward's house. (Wow, confusing... He is bishop of another ward, we live behind his house.) It isn't fantastic, but there is running water, showers, a fridge, etc.
My companion is Elder Stewart. He is from Bountiful, but has a very different background. His family is very wealthy. They have a home in St. George, a cabin at Brian Head, and the home in Bountiful. They just bought a couple of new cars (a Escalade, and a really high end Benz). He wants to buy a Benz C230 when he gets home, and is very into guns. He actually worked for Salt Lake SWAT on a volunteer basis for a bit. He also worked at the Granger Medical Clinic
doing pediatric dentistry for a bit. He also likes aviation. So teeth, guns, and cars seem to be his favorites.
I'm afraid I am still having a little bit of a hard time, and told the President about some of them. He told me he is really concerned, and is sorry that I am in the situation. I don't think we have had a single morning where we did a full hour of beneficial companion study. But I am going to see if I can encourage him before President steps in. At least that is my hope.
We are going to have one more baptisms this Thursday. The one that postponed is on, and seems solid. The girl who backed out apparently got into a bit of a fight with the members she was staying with and ran away. We were teaching her boyfriend though (atleast trying to, hard to get a hold of him) and we might be able to find her again that way.
Oh, I really am gaining a reputation for being able to eat a lot. We had to go to the doctor in town (honolulu) last Tuesday, and on our way back home, we stopped at a place called Bob's Big Boy. They have a burger they call the Sumo burger, and I had to try it. It contains a pound patty, bun, tomatoe, cheese, lettuce. It was really good, and I finished it. So, they took my picture and
will be putting it up on a bulletin board soon. The companionship that went with us is still amazed.
The work is going well, I just wish I could do more, but I will do my best to encourage my companion, and listen to the advice (or rather order) from my Mission President to not get contentious. I need to find a gentle line between laid back and not doing work. I figure if I can learn to be laid back with the people, but working hard studying and between people, then I should be good. That is my goal.
I hope everyone is still doing well. It is so beautiful out here. I will make sure to send lots of green pictures with palm trees in them home in December. Thank you for your support and love. I love you all!
Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment