Thursday, May 28, 2009

12/01/2008

Aloha in December
So, how many people were involved in the Black Friday madness that causes so much grief each year? I heard a Wal-Mart employee in New York got killed... but I think everyone already knows my take on that day.
This last week was a really fun week. Tuesday we had a lesson with Francis, and we gave him some dates to choose from for his baptism. He called us the next morning and said that he wants to be baptised on the 20th of December. What a cool Christmas present for his sister. This is going to be an interesting Holiday season for him because he used to be budist. He is really coming along, and loves everything about the church.
Wednesday was our Zone conference, which was centered around Christmas. There weren't very many trainings or talks, but a lot about Christmas. We had a bit called "Music, and the Spoken Word" where a few of us performed some musical numbers, and some shared some experiences from home. Then we got to watch "A Christmas Carol" (not a muppet Christmas carol though) and talk about some of the deeper meanings. It was a lot of fun.
Thanksgiving this year was crazy. We started out by helping at an "Interfaith community Thanksgiving dinner" which was held at an episcipal church down the road. There was a service before hand, which was really interesting. Then we went and ate a small thanksgiving meal, and headed to the kitchen to wash dishes. When we got there, there were two volunteers already washing dishes, so my companion and I got the drying job... That went on for a little until we
realized how ineffecient they were being, and as Elder York and myself both have resturant/dishwashing experience, we took over and things started going a lot faster. I think I hurt my shoulder scrubbing some of the pans, but it got better. We impressed a few people there from other religions, but no one seemed interested. We left simply thinking that it was a good service opportunity, and maybe someone will remember us if we knock on their door.
After that we went to the Allen's house. They had an emu turkey (I don't know if I spelled that right, but this is when they cook it in the ground), so I guess my thanksgiving dinner was traditional with an island twist. It was really good, but slightly dry. Guess you can't have everything. Since we weren't supposed to prosolyte(sp?), we spent the rest of the day with the
Allens, talking story and the like. Brother Allen has an interesting idea. He thinks that when we get to heaven, the white stone talked about in the scriptures is going to be something like a PDA or cell phone. He is a really deep thinker, and has some good arguments for that idea.
Anyway, just a little before sunset, we went on a bike ride with Brother Allen, and his father down the cement path along the beach. It was beautiful, and it was nice to ride a bike again. We got back to the house, talked for a bit more until bro Allen fell asleep on the couch. When he woke up, he kicked us out (nicely) and sent his entire family to bed (or so we assume, we had left by then).
Friday night we went to Auntie Bev's house. Auntie Bev is a really cool lady in our ward. She teaches hula and ukelele, and used to perform at Cocao Palms. Apparently she knew Elvis as well. Well, we went to the house she grew up in because she had just renovated it and was going to rent it out. She had a High Priest from Lihue come and give a blessing on the house, and then we ate and had a bit of a music concert. It was a lot of fun, though slightly awkward when
everyone else there was married but the missionaries. They would slip on comments every once-in-a-while. But they are all sweet people.
Last night we had a cool experience. We had just finished dinner, and were trying to think of who we could go see. We have one lady in our ward who is a little less active, but she lives on a farm, takes care of a bed-riden man, and has a lot of other things going on as well. She loves the missionaries, and would do just about anything for us. I thought we should go by, but my
companion was a little nervous because it was getting late. We eventually did go, and it was good we did. Sister Nishek had been going through some hard times (her life is an emotional roller coaster) and had been missing us. She was so happy when we came by. The man she takes care of is not doing well, and she is pretty sure he isn't going to make it much longer. That and a couple other things, and she was nearly distraught. She was grateful we came by, and I think was doing a lot better when we left.
Kauai is beautiful. It is weird to be seeing Christmas lights with it still being this warm and green though. Guess thats what I get for being in the tropics. If what President Petersen said at my interview with him after Zone conference holds true, I will be out here for a little while, which I would love. There is a lot of work to be done, but I am happy that I can do it. The Lord is helping my companion and me along in our work. Without Him, nothing would happen. I hope everyone is doing well. Thank you for your support, love, and prayers. I love you all.
Aloha
Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment