Thursday, May 28, 2009

10/28/2008

Aloha from the alamo?
No idea, don't ask where it came from, I don't know... Anyway...
Apparently my frustration seeped into my email last week a lot more than I intended for it to. Things are actually looking up in the Waipahu 2nd ward right now. I'm afraid most of our members still need work, but we have a few that are starting to get involved, and Elder Odulio and I have had a bit of success on our own. Our ward mission leader is as excited as ever, but is doing even more now by helping us get fellowshippers to our lessons. Things are definately looking up.
We also had zone conference this last week which really got my companion and I working harder, and allowed for some good conversation where we both revealed that we want to work hard. So, the last couple days have been much better. We are going out, walking a lot, talking to a lot of people, having interesting experiences, and returning home really tired. At ZC, Sister Petersen (Presidents wife) talked about not hitting a spiritual platue (I've never known how to spell that right unless I was coping it out of a book) on our missions. I resolved that I would never do that myself, but am sorry to say I was hoping that quite a few missionaries in our zone were listening... Judging by there efforts the last couple of days , I would guess not... I guess one thing that really irritated me was that my trainer dropped Elder Odulio and I off at our pad, and then he and his companion took about a two hour nap while my companion and I did our week plan. Not a very effective use of time, but I can't control those two.
So, things are looking up, and today was very nice as we were able to go to the temple. Waking up at 4:30 wasn't a lot of fun, but I was able to sleep most of the way there since it was dark and we couldn't see anything. I realized that the temple really does need the renovations they are
planning for it. There is a lot that could and probably should be done to improve things. One thing I did like was the $80,000 table in the celestial room. It may have been a little extravagant, but it was pretty, and the rest of the room was simple. The grounds were amazing though, and I think I took over 100 pictures today of the grounds and the ocean on the way back. I spent a lot of time using my macro setting on my camera and trying to get good pictures focused on flowers with the temple in the background. I also was able to get a picture of the temple and along the bottom of the picture I was able to capture the words "Laie, Hawaii Temple" from the plaque on the ground. Maybe it isn't a plaque, but that was the best representation I can think of it. They are really cool pictures and I cannot wait until everyone gets a chance to see them.
It is a good reminder to be able to go and remember that our goal as missionaries is not to get people to the waters of baptism, but to get them to the temple to be sealed for time and eternity as familes. Familes and the life after death are very important in Hawaii. Most of the polynesians are converted simply off of the social aspect, and then they become more converted as time goes on. They love everyone, and I am trying to learn from their example.
I asked my mission president if I should try to learn spanish or any other language, and he told me to focus on english right now, and simply learn everything I need to in english. So, it looks like I will be coming home speaking only english, but maybe a little pigeon. You know dakine bra.
We haven't been able to set up appointments for Maria Bird's mother to be read the Book of Mormon in Spanish yet, but hopefully soon. We were able to find a cool former yesterday that just recently moved back, and we taught Sherrie's mother and father, and they seem open. Or at least the father says it is ok to teach the family, so hopefully if we can get the family to listen and find the truth he will see the change and want it for himself. They have a lot of potential.
Well, there is work to do for us all to do. Missionary work is a lifelong calling for us all. Let us all stay strong in the work of the Lord, that when life is o're, we may gain our reward, in.... oh wait. Thank you all for your prayers and support, I know they are helping me through. I love you all.
Elder Kidd
P.S. Thanks for the info on the election dad, and I hope sicknesses pass so=
on!

No comments:

Post a Comment