Tuesday, June 2, 2009

01/05/09

Aloha from no snow....
Sorry, I just had to say that. And now I say HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Now that I got those out of my system, Hawaii is still great. Kauai is still beautiful. It looks a little gloomy outside, but I guess with 70 degree weather, I can't complain.
This last week was an interesting week. Brenda came to our family home evening night on Monday evening, and she is really interesed. We actually were able to have a lesson with her on Saturday, and she really liked what we said. She used to belong to a different church with a false prophet that led the church. He told the congregation at one time that he was God in the flesh... and he threatened (in front of the congregation) to kill Brenda's 15 year old daughter because Brenda wouldn't let him marry her off. So, she ran away, and when her husband wouldn't, they got divorced. Now she is very skeptical about religions, but she loves everything about the church. She said to me yesterday at chruch that she will probably be at church every week. Now we just have to teach her about baptism so that she knows that there are more blessings that can come, and covenants we need to make with our Heavenly Father. She already knows about the Word of Wisdom, tithing, etc. and likes them as well. She shines she is so golden.
Jack and Sandy continue to progress slowly. We were finally able to sit down and have a real lesson with both of them this last tuesday night. They had a lot of questions, but the spirit was present, and they said they would read. Unfortunately they didn't come to church yesterday, but we will continue to work with them and help them out. They are starting to read the book of Mormon, which is fantastic. Jack just needs to go at his own pace, and he will find out for himself. I think he knows deep down inside that he will join, he just wants to know what he is doing before he jumps into the water, which is what I would prefer.
This last week was able to resolve a lot (if not all) of the concerns between myself and my companion. On Wednesday morning, we went out to do some tracting. The morning had had a spirit of contention, so we didn't have the Spirit at all. I tried to let him lead, hoping the spirit would lead him (as I was so irritated I knew it wasn't with me) but apparently he was upset as well. He looked around for a bit and said, "Lets just go back to the car, this isn't going to do any
good." So, we walked back to the car, drove back to the pad, and then had a good heart to heart. I callled him out on some things, he asked me to do some things, and we left with a feeling of love between us (FINALLY!!) and things have been so much better. We are having fun now, and are having success. He is settling down, and isn't trying to catch me on every little thing I do, and I feel like he is listening now to me as well. On my part, I am taking special care to make sure he understands what we are doing at all time, helping him learn, and not laughing at his "Greenie" moments. Ahh, so much happier.
It was nice to get that taken care of so that we could enjoy New Year's Eve. We went down to Lihue to hang with the other elders and to spend the night. Before we went down, we stopped by the post office, and elder Higley had received 7 letters (six from his girlfriend, and one from a cousin) and I got one from Aubree (that had been sent 12 days before), so our mail is completely messed up right now, which would explain why my Christmas package still hasn't arrived...
But that night... we all got together and watched Prince Caspian, and Kung Fu Panda. I was slightely dissapointed we couldn't watch Wall.e, but what you gonna do bra? Then we went outside to watch fireworks. Fireworks on new years eve in Hawaii are insane. They actually have to put a limit of 20,000 fireworks per person. Yes, 20,000. They have all sorts of illegal fireworks that go off the whole night as well, but no one cares. The air is so full of smoke it can
make it difficult to see and breathe. It was amazing, and a lot of fun. After that we went to bed, but put on Home Alone to fall asleep to, which i stayed up and watched the whole thing.
The next day we weren't to do any prosolyting, so we played basketball and hung with the elders for most of the morning. When we went home, elder Higley just feel asleep and rested for a while. At 6 we went to the Allen's home again, ate dinner, and watched a movie with them... or rather elder higley and I started to watch one together, and he left to watch the other one part way through.
So, that is the excitement in Kauai. I hope everyone is doing well. It seems for me I just got out of the rainstorm, and I am using the sun I have now to grow all that I can. As for the weather, it looks like another storm just rolled in. I hope everyone is safe with the snow (or whatever weather may be like where you are). I love you all. Remember the Lord watches over us all,
and will not let us face more than we are able. The Second Coming is near, let us be prepared for it.
Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment