Thursday, May 28, 2009

10/20/2008

No extremely big events for this past week, so I couldn't think of any really clever subject lines. Sorry, you're just going to have to deal with boring old aloha.

The work continues in our ward. We have a really energetic Ward Mission leader who is extremely excited. We are having a missionary fireside tomorrow night to try and get the ward involved. I am starting to think more and more that it is meant a lot to remind the members of our ward that, yes, there are missionaries and, yes, those talks in sacrament were meant for them and yes, they need to do something. But maybe that is just me being lazy? Doubtful though.

We do have a couple really good families in the ward that try to help us whenever they can, and then have some other interesting characters that seem to be a little too busy to talk to their neighbors. It is definitely a different world out here in Hawaii, and some people really have different views about what they should be doing, not only for non-members but members as well.

Still, Elder Odulio and I continue our work. Sometimes it seems a little hard to get him going, but usually we work really hard. We are doing a lot of walking, and I think I am almost back to the weight I was when I left home. I think I may need to invest in a new backpack that is a designed for air circulation around the back. I never knew your back could sweat so much. Lovely, isn't it?

But the work continues. We have one girl named Sherrie who seems to be interested as things are a little tough for her right now. She pays attention to what we say, and seems to be touched. Also, she wants us to teach her family, and her mother is very interested. The problem is that her mother doesn't speak English very well, so I may not be able to contribute that much to lessons. We really need our ward involved.

I sent out a memory card with pictures today, and a quite a few videos. Hopefully you will all get to see those soon. We get to go to the temple next week since it is closing in December for 18 months, and apparently that is the prettiest part of the island, so I will take a lot of pictures. They are renovating the temple (don't know if I said this before) but it is going to reopen just before I come home, so hopefully I will be able to go to the rededication! Wouldn't that be cool?!

Finally, I may be learning Spanish while I am out here. I have realized that the languages I try to pick up while I am out here don't seem to be sticking, but so much recently keeps making me think I should try to pick up Spanish again. I asked my mission president what he thought, so we will see.

As always, thank you all for your support. I hope these new things work for you dad, and good luck with everything at school mom. I hope you are doing well, and I love you all.

Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment