Monday, June 8, 2009

01/19/09

Aloha
As usual, aloha from beautiful Kauai. I have felt like a pansy lately because I was getting cold. Yeah, it was about 60 when I woke up yesterday, and we were freezing. One member did point out that aside from the blood thining out here, there is no insulation or heaters in houses, so we really feel it. Still, I'm sure I'm not going to get any pity from those that are in 32 or below
weather....
So, I didn't share about an experience that happened to me about two weeks ago, because I was asked to wait. A tourist couple came to the church looking for a time that they could come to church the next day. Luckily Elder Higley and I were eating dinner, so we were there. They asked, we told them, and came out to point them in the direction of the chapel. Well, as they were leaving, they asked Elder Higley where he was from, and then I asked where they were from.
"Utah."
"What part?"
"Salt Lake,"
"What part?"
"West Valley"
"Wow!" (high fives). "Where abouts?"
"Over by valley fair mall"
"Oh, I live out by about 6200 W" (I realize now that was way off, but that is
what I said)
"That's by my school, Hillside Elementary"
"That's where my mom works, Gloria Kidd"
"She's a secretary there! I teach there. I'm Mrs. Jackman" (formerly known as
Ms. Twitchel)
So, we proceded to talk, she wanted a picture, and asked me if i wanted to write a letter, so I wrote a very brief one and stuck it in an envelope with a 4 gb flash drive for my mom. What are the odds?
But, anyway. This last week has been an interesting one. We still haven't been able to meet with brenda recently, but hopefully I will see her tonight. We are actually doing a split tonight so that I can go to FHE and elder higley can teach Sandy. Sandy wants to be baptised, but doesn't see a need to be baptised... or basically, she wants to be a mormon, but doesn't know the church
is true. Hopefully elder higley can fix that tonight.
Our lesson with Jack and Sandy went well, but not so much for Sandy. We spent a lot of time talking about the spirit world and baptisms for the dead, hoping that Sandy would feel the spirit and want to have her daughter baptised. Well, she feels that her daughter was baptised catholic, and doesn't see a need for her to be baptised again... Problem... Jack on the other hand liked what we said, and though he is a little confused with some things right now, promised he would continue to learn and when he knew it was right, he would be baptised. He sees baptism as a big thing, and wants to know he is doing it for the right reason. The really cool thing was Jack's son, tyler, who shared with me a really special dream he had, and started crying after the lesson. He asked for a few minutes alone in the chapel, and when I looked back through the doors, he was praying. He is such a great kid, and has a lot of potential.
Other things went a little slow last week, but we continue to do all that we can for our investigators and members. Last friday we went and taught a less active lady with Keola Alalem (sometimes known as worthington). He is interesting, but is our ward missionary. The lesson went well, but the lady didn't come to church. She was baptised about ten years ago by two elders. One was Elder Cox from Hurricane, Utah. Sound familiar to anyone? Do we know this person? How small a world is it? I don't think they taught extremely well so that she
understood though, and it has made things difficult now.
Today is interesting. I am actually typing from the Allen's because the libraries are closed since it is Human Rights day. We might actually be going up with the family to a little pond where they will go swimming later (we'll relax). We'll see what happens. I hope everyone is doing well. I love you all so much and am thankful for your many prayers. Living the gospel brings so many blessings. Remember Captain Moroni: If all men had, were, and would be like unto Captain Moroni, the very power of Hell would have been shaken forever, and the devil never would have had power over the hearts of children of men. Let us all strive to be like unto Captain Moroni.
Elder Kidd
The beach in that picture I believe is on Kauai mom, but it is not a very good one, especially after the recent storms. It is covered in branches, but there are some better ones. Also, can anyone see if they can find the music for Voicemale's version of How firm a foundation? Thank you! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment