Monday, June 15, 2009

06/15/09

Aloha!

Ahh, what an interesting week it has been. It seems when life is interesting, Heavenly Father throws in an extra ingredient to change things up just a little more. Hopefully this soup tastes alright in the end.

After our lesson with Mason on Monday, we had a fun P-day. Towards the evening, my companion and I had a funny experience. He wanted some Jamba Juice, but they were closed, so we ran by Starbucks instead. Yes, I got hot chocolate in Hawaii, but it was still good. The funny part was that right after that, we ran to the Post Office to send out a package. Well, while I am waiting (and drinking my hot chocolate), one of our bishops walks in to get his mail. Well, Elder Thomson reaches over and turns my cup so that our bishop can't see the Starbucks logo on it. I just started laughing and told him he caught me drinking my hot chocolate. What are the odds of having the bishop walk in on you while you are drinking what looks like coffee? Just like mom's fear of buying a beer to marinate meat, that the bishop would show up in line right behind her at the store. Well, knowing Bishop Coach Steve, he would have asked why she only had one...

Anyway, Tuesday we had a good appointment with Carey O'oka. We were able to teach him the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and set a date for his baptism. We are going to have to move it back though, because he has to quit smoking, but he is progressing towards that goal.

Tuesday night we went to a member family for dinner, and had.... Thanksgiving Dinner! Or atleast it seemed like it. Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and crannberry. It was amazing (well, the potatoes weren't as good, but it is Hawaii. We were happy about potatoes). So, it felt like November for about 45 minutes.

Wednesday night we went and watched the Testiments with a less-active family in the ward. We have been working with them for a while, and they still have their testimonies, it just seems hard to get them to church. Well, at the end of the movie, I saw Brother Mahi drying his eyes, and they were at church yesterday. They are trying to get their 8-year-old grandaughter baptized, so hopefully they will stay active afterward.

Thursday, we had potatoes again for dinner (these weren't very good either), so we were amazed that we were at 2 meals with potatoes in a week (we usually have A LOT of rice). That night my companion and I had a good talk trying to motivate each other, and I realize I may have a lot to do to help my companion. I'm trying to think of how I can help him to want to be out here for the right reason.

Friday night we had potatoes again for dinner (we were amazed!) and even more amazing was to find out that the husband just turned 80. We thought he was just over 50. He looks amazing, and has such a wonderful spirit.

So, this week had some trouble getting ahold of a lot of our investigators, because so many are extremely busy. We called Mason last night, and he is booked, but really wants to meet with us again. After our last lesson, we are super excited to meet with him too. We ran into Ahia last Monday at Safeway, and it seems like there is a filmcrew at her workplace. Hopefully we can get ahold of her soon too. Add that to a guy we found tracting on Friday, who was actually home for the appointment on Saturday (first time I went back and someone was there. It was amazing), and we have a lot of potential. We have some hard work to do, but hopefully the Lord will bless us.

As always, thank you for your continued support. Have a great week, and a great Father's Day all of you fathers! I love you all.

Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment