Monday, June 8, 2009

03/16/09

Aloha from Hilo
Yep, I've managed to avoid O'ahu for the time being. I am now on Big Island, otherwise known as Hawai'i. So, I've finally gotten to the true Hawaii. I actually live about 30 miles or so from a volcanoe as well. Sweet, huh? I think we are going to go by Big Island Candies today, so we'll see how good they are. Maybe everyone can send me money and I can get presents for everyone!
My area is in Hilo town. Half of the island is called Kona, and the other is Hilo, so I am in Hilo and in Hilo. It has been great so far. The area is a bit bigger than Kapa'a was, and more city like, but I still love it. It is a little more chill here, and the people are wonderful. We actually cover two wards. One is in an area that is a little less fortunate (meaning poorer). There are a lot of apartment buildings, which actually translates to a lot of opportunities to invite people to learn, which has turned into a lot of potential recently. The other area is a bit up the hill, and is a little wealthier. We have some good plans to get the members involved up there.
So, Tuesday was a sad day in Kapa'a. Elder Bagley and I spent the day running around and saying goodbye to all of the people we could. We went to Jack's that evening for a final farewell. It was an emotional parting. Jack, Tylor, Micah (the JW friend), and Dillon (one of Tylor's friends that we actually reactivated) were there. We had a good dinner, and then talked for a few minutes, and sang a song. Then, we had a final prayer which Jack asked me to offer. At the end, Jack, Tylor, Dillon, and myself were all in tears.
Before we left, Jack handed me a small glass ball, which is a buyoue(sp?) for a fish hook and bait that fisherman will leave out in the ocean, anchored to the floor. The ball floats, holding the bait up until something bites the hook. Well, Jack gave me a really small one, smaller than any I had ever seen. He told me that when I met him, that was the size of his spirituality, that it was now like the ones upstairs on the shelf (which are 2-3 times bigger),and that it will be like the ones he has hanging from his back porch (which are 3-4 times bigger than the middle ones). He thanked me, and told me to keep in touch. We said goodbye, and then drove down to Lihue to spend the night at the ZL's pad, sleeping on the floor. Or atleast trying.
I got about 3 hours of sleep, and then we got ready and went to the airport. Three elders flew out early, and I waited by myself for my flight to O'ahu for about 2 hours. I landed in O'ahu, and managed to find the two elders headed out for Kaua'i. So, I filled my replacement in on some current standings, and got on my plane (alone again) to head for Hilo, and that is where I am now.
My new companion's name is Elder Aldridge (he is my sixth companion in six transfers), who lives just east of Hunter. He graduated in 08, and is actually cousins to the Smiths in our ward. He has been out the same amount of time as Elder Bagley and Elder Higley. He was actually Elder Higley's MTC companion. So, things have been a lot of fun out here. We are working hard, being effective, and having fun. We also are remembering times from back in West Valley. We live with two other elders: Elder Aranda (who has been out for almost 18 months, and is really awesome), and Elder Burner (who is a greenie). We live behind the Stake Center out here, in a nice, but old pad. It works great for missionaries though.
We had a really cool experience this last week. One of our wards (Kaumana) hasn't seen a baptisms in over a year. So, we decided we were going to spend time every day trying to find people in that ward. Well, Fridy, we tracted into a lady who used to be active, and was actually sealed to her parents in the Salt Lake temple. Her dad was a bishop at one time, but she went another way, and felt that nature was her new religion. We talked to her for a few minutes, gave her our number, and then continued on our way. Well, we were headed back to our car, slightly downhearted after running into a mean 7th day adventist, when we ran into a cool guy walking up the road. He lives in Seattle, so we gave him a pamphlet and got his information to send to missionaries in Seattle. Well, while we were talking to him, we got a call. When we listened to the message, it was from the lady we ran into. She was thinking, and realized that maybe we were sent from her dad (who has passed). She needed some help with the house, and decided it was time to look at the church again. We helped her on Saturday and talked to her friend (who is a non-member) and they both came to church yesterday. We are going to go see them later this week as well.
So, that is what has been going on in Hilo. It is very rainy out here most of the time. Hilo is actually the wettest city in the US (more than Seattle apparently), so it's going to be fun. Elder Aldridge and I are looking forward to a great transfer. I hope everyone is doing well, and that you are finally getting over your illness dad. Tell Savannah to get better. I love you all!
Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment