Monday, June 8, 2009

02/09/09

Aloha and Happy Valentines
Yes, what a wonderful week to think about those we love. I got an early dose on Saturday when a package arrived for me (thank you Aubree!). I have cookies now, so I guess I will continue working on getting fat out here... Actually, I have been pretty happy that I have been able to maintain my weight pretty well the last few weeks since I got to Kauai.
Anyways, life continues in Kapaa with some interesting experiences. I decided this last week that if Adrian Monk and Jar Jar Binks were to have a child, and that child loved to do yoga, it would be my companion, Elder Bagley. We are getting along well, but we are an interesting pair to say the least. He is from Centerville and doesn't think that he has any family from Koosherum (I've never been able to spell that right), so I doubt he is part of that clan.
Things continue to go with Jack, Sandy, and Tylor. Tylor was sick yesterday and wasn't able to come to church. Unfortunatley Jack took that excuse and went fishing all day. Like it has been said many times before, we can't force him (but how I wish we could). I just wish I could make him see the importance, and how what he is doing is going to do nothing but harm. Guess that is the joy of missionary work.
Sandy seems to progress, but I still get the feeling that she doesn't quite understand some of the teachings of the church. We continue to work with her, and hopefully she will be moving out of the house soon. I think her getting out will be the best for her, for Jack, and for Tylor. There is so much drama in that house so often that you can feel it push the spirit away.
As for Brenda, we actually hadn't seen much of her recently, and found out from her fellowshipper that she was kinda avoiding us. She loves family home evening, but felt church was too.... churchy (umm.... yeah). She did come yesterday, and seemed to enjoy it. It looks like it is going to take some time and work with her. But, thats what we do!
We were actually able to find quite a few people this last week. We ran into a part member/less active family that we started teaching the sons this last week, but the mom (non-member) is actually interested and starting to read the Book of Mormon. We are also starting to work with a couple people from a Thai family. There is a bit of a language barrier, but they seem to accept what we say.
We ran into an interesting lady this last week. I think she is either a less-active member, or excommunicated. She seems like she likes the church, but considers herself an escapee... oh well. She cut open a coconut and let us drink the coconut water inside, which is pretty good. By the end of our conversation with her, we concluded she was a hippy and really strange. We'll see what we can do to help her and maybe bring her back.
So, our big event for the week was a musical fireside we held last night. We had five different musical numbers, and four speakers. It was a really good evening, and we pushed hard for members to come and bring their non-member friends... Lets just say that we need to get our ward used to missionary firesides. We didn't have the greatest turn out, but it went well and those who were there liked it!
I hope you are all doing well and staying warm! I love you all and am so thankful for all your support and love! Stay strong, and remember that the Lord has put us where we need to be and when. We may not know why, but He does. Love you!
Elder Kidd
Mom, could you possibly find me the name of a dentist out here that is covered by the insurance so I can go get my 6 month cleaning? Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment