Monday, June 8, 2009

05/04/09

Aloha!

Kiah huh? I hope she enjoys the movie Willow. It scared me to death when I was a kid... But it is a very pretty name. I couldn't open the pictures that Stacie sent though. I did get the ones mom sent.

Anyway, Aloha! It has been a fun week in Hilo, and a very warm one as well. We are starting to get out of the rain a little bit, and get some sunshine. I am starting to remember last year when I first got out here though. It was hot, and I think I prefer the rain.

Hmmm... so what happened this last week... On Tuesday we were able to go and see Carey O'oka again and have a lesson with him. He is doing well, just struggling to get his heart in the right place. He wants to be baptized, and he wants to know it is true, he's just looking for that confirmation right now. So, always a fun time. He can't meet tomorrow, but we should see him on Sunday.

We also had fun doing service on Tuesday as well. And when I say fun, I mean we spent the whole time wondering what in the heck we were doing it for. The lady is a little crazy, and simply likes free labor to try to get the land cleared she is trying to sell... Yeah, so we have been told by numberous people to cease going over there, and we are following that advice. I feel really sorry for her and her husband, but I think she is crazy too, and we don't have time to help her earn a profit off of a bad financial decision.

Oh, by the way, dakine is a word used in Hawaii to mean just about anything, so "small kine" would be small things. "Choke" means a lot. Thought I would try and throw some pigeon in for everyone. Try looking up "Da Jesus Book" to get a copy of the pigeon bible.

Also, I said my district leader is interesting because he is driving me crazy. He is the type of person who doesn't ask, he just does. Throw in that he enjoys pinning things on everyone else, slipping out of doing things, and acts like roalty, he's getting on my nerves. So, a perfect opportunity to learn patience has arrived.

Tuesday night we were able to see Tara, and take a recent convert with us (Helen). We had a good lesson about tithing and fast offerings, and Tara told us that she is working on getting Sundays off (still) and is sincerely searching for answers about what is true. She likes what we teach, but knows she needs that witness. So, add her to Carey O'oka, and Ikaika (Ikaika wants to get baptized, knows it's true, but can't afford to move out of his girlfriends apartment) and we have a lot of solid investigators who are just having those tests of faith at the moment. Slightly frustrating as a missionary, but you do your best, pray for them, and pray for inspiration as to how to help them.

Wednesday we were able to see Kathy and Pearleen and had a good discussion with them. My companion and myself are both wondering if they are crazy or not, but we are still trying to help them. They are very in touch with the "Energy" side of things, so we are trying to help them see that even "energy" comes from Heavenly Father. They weren't at church yesterday though, and we haven't been able to get ahold of them. We'll let you know what happens.

Thursday we had an interesting evening. We taught a good lesson to a less active young man in our ward (who really wants to come to church, but work makes it difficult) and his girlfriend (who is a recent convert and less active with him... two birds, one stone?). The lesson was great, but they live across the street from a couple that is very active, very kind, and a little senile. Well, as we were leaving to go to our dinner appointment, the husband waved us over. When we got there, he handed us each a sandwhich and some veggie chips (they were actually really good), a glass of milk, and some garlic bagle bites. Well, missionaries never turn down food, so we ate it. Well, the conversation starts, "Do you have a dinner tonight?", "Yep", "At what time? 6?", "Yep, at six.", "Oh, you're late. Eat up.". I love brother Auld. So, my companion and I weren't very hungry for our dinner at the New Star Chineese resturant.

The food wasn't terrific though, so I don't know if we minded. I prefered the tomatoe and bacon sandwhich the Aulds gave us. The sad part was that while we were eating, the song "I'm Going Home" by Dautry (spelling even close?) came on. Well, yeah, thats too funny and would make anyone atleast a little homesick. But we laughed about it too (as we sang it to ourselves).

Thursday morning we went to Sister Hess (a less active we are working with) just in time. We came in and she burst into tears because it seemed everything was mounting up on her. Well, that's really not good for someone who has had atleast one heart attack, and possibly two. So, we watched the Restoration with her, calmed her down, swept her floors, and cheered her up. She felt a lot better when we left, and made it to church.

That afternoon we went to see Gail (the buddist lady). While we were there, three of her buddist friends showed up. Well, this wasn't a good finding activity, and most missionaries will agree that friends showing up seems to distract from the lesson. It doesn't help that when they come in they each had to chant and bow to a little shrine thing in the room. Hopefully they were listening while I was bearing testimony of Christ, but it didn't seem that way. They didn't seem to hear anything we said at all, but no effort is wasted, right?

Anyway, Saturday night we went to a reception held at the stake center. If you think you have seen big receptions, you haven't seen anything. There were well over 1,000 people that attended. They had great food though, and a samoan slap dance at the end. That was fun. (You should look up on youtube and see if you can find one. They are really cool.)

Well, as we walked back to our pad, I had to back our Zone Leaders out (stand behind the car and make sure no one was coming). Well, as they were driving away, I thought I would be funny, so I was going to jump and push off their trunk a little to get higher... Yeah, stupid. Well, I either misjudged how fast they were going, or they hit the gas as I did it, and it pulled me off balance. So, I hit the ground on my feet, but couldn't hold myself up and took a fall into the asphault. They didn't even notice though, and went home without stopping. They came over later to see the damage, and still feel really bad about it. My palms are a little torn up, and my left knee, and a little scrap above my elbow are all I got. I'll send pictures next week of my bloody mess. The good news is that my shirt and pants are fine!

I'm healing up really well (and yes, I am using triple antibiotic ointment) but a little sore. We went to see our ward missionary (who is the RM who just got back) off at the airport this morning. He is headed to California for the rest of the summer, and then to Snow College. His name is Michael Straight (maybe Aaron or Collin Jensen will run into him). It has been a lot of fun working with him, so we wished him luck.

Now for the words of wisdom: Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn. Oh wait...

Maybe I can tag along with I think it was Elder Oaks, who gave a talk about testimony. A testimony is not a travelogue, a thankimony, or a stand up comic routeen. It is a statement of truth that bears witness of Christ and His restored gospel. Stories can teach us things, but a testimony is a witness of Christ. May we all strive to bear a true testimony so that it can allow the spirit to touch the hearts of all those who hear us.

I love you all, and I will be calling home probably about 5 AM here, so 9 AM there next Sunday morning for mother's day. I can't wait to talk to everyone. Thank you all for all the support and love you give and have given me. I love you all.

Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment