Monday, July 26, 2010

What I Learned On My Mission

So, as the end is just about here, I have had a lot of time (or maybe it just has been bombarding me) to reflect on the last two years. One person asked me some of the things that I have learned, so I decided I would take a moment and share some of the things that I have learned.
I have learned that in Hawaii, things get soggy very quickly. You shouldn't plan on having your towel ever be dry, except when it comes right out of the dryer. But also that love can and should be a leading motivator in all that we do. If we truly love everyone around us and see them as a brother or sister, then we and they will be much happier. Our service will be greater, and there will be less frustration and anger.
I have learned about missionaries that they are often immature, annoying, and arrogant. Yet, they are the only access to atoning grace that the world has. Without missionaries, no converts can be baptized. Also, beneath all the 19-21 year oldness, they are kind at heart and have a desire to serve. Of course they have flaws and struggles, but who doesn't. A mission will truly turn them into the men (or women) that they can be.
I have learned about myself more of who I am, and what I truly want in life. A lot of my desires have changed, and my attitude as well. I feel no longer that I have to prove myself to the world and to those around me, but that I can and should truly be me. I have learned that in some circumstances I have sacrificed much, and perhaps too much, to prove that I was something I wasn't. I hope I don't startle too many people when I get home, but I believe I have finally learned who I am, what I am capable of, more of what I want and need, and what makes me happy.
But above all, I have learned of our Savior and His gospel.
I have truly learned that Joseph Smith was a prophet. That the church of Christ was lost from the earth for almost 2000 years, but that the Lord called an unlearned 14 year-old boy to restore everything back. I have learned what eternity can mean to me and others. I have learned that the gospel contains all the answers that we are looking for.
The Book of Mormon is the word of God, and can answer the questions of the soul. There is no way that a man could have written that book.
I have learned that we are led and guided by a prophet today. He is able to receive revelation to lead us and guide us in our search for peace and happiness here, and in the life to come.
But most important, I have learned of Christ. Our Savior came to this earth, lived a perfect life. Not that everything went perfect for him, but that he never, ever sinned. He was spotless forever. He faced the hardest trials, persecutions, and struggles, yet he did more than any of us ever could. He willingly volunteered Himself and sacrificed Himself for all mankind, suffering for all of our sins. We cannot comprehend how this is possible, or even a fraction of what it felt like, yet we have faith and can feel the relief of forgiveness. He also felt all of our pains, so that He knows exactly what we are going through. He is always there, ready to reach out and give us the hand that we need, to lift us out of the hard times. If we will turn to Him, He will help bear our burdens. He cannot take them all away, for that would deny us the opportunity to learn and grow, but He can make them light, so that we can stand to continue forward. Without the Atonement, no one could ever return. Christ could have Himself without suffering, but instead He suffered for us. I love Him so much, and will forever be grateful for all that He did for me.
I thank all that have supported me during these two years. They have truly been the hardest two years of my life, but also the best. May we all continue to stay strong in the Lord, and receieve all of the blessings that He has in store for us.
Love
Elder John Cameron Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment