Monday, July 26, 2010

07/26/10

Aloha Oe

This won't be my final, final email, but it will be the second to the last. This is simply an account of our last week... as far as I can remember....
So, unfortunately no miracles happened, and we will not be having a baptism Tomorrow, but things are ok. I get this strange feeling when we come back to visit that I will have to pack white clothes. Derek is doing alright, but still got a ways to go, and Kelsea couldn't get her grandparents to come to our activity. But, I know that I did the very best that I could for them, and I think I will still be able to continue to help them.
A lot of this week was directed at preparing for our activity on Saturday, which went very well. It was great to be able to set up a spiritual room, and everyone that saw it loved it. I think Elder Pontanares might have to do it again in the not-so-distant future. There was a good spiritual message at the end, but I don't want to spoil what might be a future activity for the younger generation.
Yesterday seems to be the day with the most events (that or it wasn't so long ago, so I can remember it). Church was our ward conference, which is handled a bit differently in Hawaii. Sacrament is an hour and a half long, and then everyone splits for the last class after that. Also, most of the high council and a few bishops come as well. So, we had a lot of people there. I talked to the Stake President a little before sacrament, and he asked the bishop to ask me to bear my testimony in sacrament meeting. Then, after sacrament, the ward sang "Aloha Oe" to me, and I was given a lot of lei's. It was an awesome experience, and I realized that I have made an impression on this ward, and am so grateful that the Lord allowed me to serve here.
After Sacrament I had to run into relief society because I had been asked to sing "Called to Serve" to begin their lesson that they were having. I realized after I sang that I didn't ever sing for this ward, so they were all rather surprised. The President and First councilor were both in tears (and we live with the president, whose name is Gloria and is excited to meet you mom). Then we went to Priesthood and then on home.
After studying for a while, we had to run my signing journal to a member family because I had forgotten to give it to them at church. We were on our way to dinner, so we had to make it fast. We pulled up and I saw one of the daughters outside opening the gate. I was a little surprised because they always keep the gate closed, but I didn't think too much of it. I motioned to her to come to the car to grab the journal, but she told me that her sister had just fallen and dislocated her knee. So, we immediately pulled in, and ran inside to give her a blessing. Turns out she had just dislocated her kneecap (sound familiar anybody?). So, we gave her a blessing, and tried to help get her ready for the ambulance, and provide some comfort for the family. After everything got settled and she was on her way to the local clinic, I took a moment to thank the Lord for allowing me to be a servant in His hand, and realized that everything happens for a reason.
So, then we went to dinner and lesson, and headed home. That night, our landlord and lady gave me a towel set: navy blue with my name and "Go Aggies" embroidered on it. So, I am excited to be able to use that.
Last night I was allowed to make some phone calls to people I knew in previous areas, and was able to talk to Jack from Kauai. He is doing well, still isn't baptized, but his life is going much better. He and I had a good talk, and it was nice to be able to talk to him again. His son is on O'ahu, so I am trying to get in touch with him to see if he can come to the airport on thursday night.
Today is all about packing though, and getting ready. We have a good day planned tomorrow, and things I think will go well. It has been a blast, and I will see you all soon. I love you all!
Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment