Thursday, July 22, 2010

07/19/10

Aloha

The beginning of the end... I know this is going to be one of the hardest weeks, but I am excited for it. I'm going to make it my best.
Things this last week were interesting, but good. I feel more and more that I am becoming separated from the ward as Elder Pontanares takes over, and everyone continues to remind me of how little time I have left. In the words of our second councilor: "I'm so short I can play handball on the curb." So, they seem to be excited for me, but driving me nuts at the same time.
We were able to meet our new mission president on Thursday. IT was a good meeting. He and his wife are two amazing people, and I know things will go well for them during their service. His question to me was what could he do to help us have a baptism before I go home, and all I could think of was pray for a miracle. If a miracle happens, Kelsea's grandpa will come to an activity this Saturday, see we are ok people, and let her get baptized. Derek doesn't look like it will happen before I go home.
Elder Pontanares continues to do very well with the Filipinos in our area. He was able to commit one for baptism on August 7th. She loves the gospel and accepts everything we teach. We also were able to begin teaching another that will probably get baptized.
I really am afraid that most everything is disappearing in a blur. We had a good lesson with Don and Shirley, and Don came to church and liked it. But the funny story....
We ran into a less active member named Auntie Lelani while tracting one day, and she wanted us to come back to visit, so we came the next day. Well, when we showed up, she was outside at a table. I thought she could see us, but I guess not, so we started shouting to her... for about five minutes. She never heard us. Finally, someone in the house saw us and told her we were there, so she came out and let us in. She insisted on making us lunch, so she made us some bologna and cheese sandwiches. While she did that, I tried to ask her how her day was... about five times getting louder each time. I think Elder Pontanares was about to crack at this point, but he help it together. At one point, her dog (a very old and probably blind Rottweiler) began fighting with a rock on the ground, barking at it and throwing it around. Eventually I wanted to share a message, so I pulled out a Book of Mormon. She wanted to run into the house to get hers. Well, she never found it. So, we offered her one. She kept trying to turn us down, saying we wouldn't have one. We finally got her to hear that we had about 50 in our car, so she agreed. Then she talked about how nice it was that we had a car, and how they used to walk with the missionaries. Then I tried to hand the book to her to her, and she protested again, saying that we wouldn't have one. So, we repeated again that we had 50 in our car, and she was amazed. "You have a car? Wow!" So, we left smiling, and hoping that Auntie Lelani continues to be happy. Then Elder Pontanares laughed when we were far enough away.
So, all that was fun. I hope all is going well for everyone. I love you all. Next week may be a unique email. I hope you like it.
Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment