Thursday, July 2, 2009

06/29/09


Mauna Kea

Mauna Kea is a very big, tall, dormant volcanoe. And it was very cold up there in the morning. While driving up, I watched the thermomiter in the car dip down to about 38-39, but start back up again and settle at about 43-45. And we were so glad it did. I don't have any coats (seeing as it is Hawaii and figured I wouldn't need any) so with simply a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and a button up shirt, I was cold. Well, so were the other four missionaries and the member that took us up there. Figure, we are all used to 65 and above. In fact, 65 is really cold anymore to all of us. So, 45 is very cold. But it was awesome.

We got to watch the sunrise, and even got to go into one of the observatories. Brother Tanaka that took us up ownes an construction company and does a lot of electrical work, and has worked on many if not all of the observatories. So, we got to go in. Those things are huge. The scientists must have a lot of patience though. Apparently they sometimes spend a week looking for a source of light that may not exist. Lots of patience.

But, on the way down we stopped by Brother Tanaka's house so that he could show us his trophie room. I attatched one picture of that, so I think you can get an idea of the types of trophies he has.

But it has been a good week. It actually was one of the harder weeks I have had so far in Hilo though. We had 4 lessons lined up for Monday and Tuesday... 3 canceled, and one the fellowshipper didn't make it. That one though was with Preston Ducosin. He is married to a member, who is active, and has nearly gotten baptized before. Well, his son turns 8 next year, and he wants to be able to baptize and confirm him, therefore we have a goal. The greatest part is that he doesn't want to be just a number, so Elder Thomson and I assured him that we hate numbers, and that we want to help him. He is a great guy, and I am looking forward to working with him more.

Carey was unable to make it to church yesterday, but when we called, he hadn't smoked in three days, and was working hard for that goal. We have a lesson with him tomorrow, but I will be on an exchange in another ward.

Mason (the golfer) dropped us this last week though. He says he doesn't have any more questions, and keeps saying he is too busy to do anything. Luckily, he is the cousin of a family in our ward who are super active and missionary minded. I am sure that they will keep working with him, and maybe one day he will be prepared. We planted a seed.

On Friday we had our Zone conference. It was great, atleast for me. My companion didn't have a good interview with our mission president, so he wasn't very happy, but I left with a renewed desire to work hard and do my best. Hopefully I can help instil that in him.

It was good to see pictures of the reunion, and it looks like everyone had fun. I love the shirt that Jeremy was wearing. I hope everyone is doing well. Remember, the Lord loves us enough to send His Son here to suffer for each and every one of us, simply to offer us the chance to accept that sacrifice. May we all accept that sacrifice, and use the atonement to help us draw nearer to our Savior and Heavenly Father.

As always, be well, thanks for all the continued support, and I love you all!

Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment