Tuesday, July 21, 2009

07/20/09

Aloha from Kaneohe

The challenge for every organization is to build a feeling of oneness, of dependence on one another...because the question is usually not how well each person works, but how well they work together.

I wanted to leave the quote mom sent me on here, and I will explain why in a few minutes. Anyway, Aloha from Kaneohe, or more specifically from Kailua, Waimanalo, and Olomana. My district is in Kailua, which is fairly big, and my two wards are Waimanalo and Olomana, which are largely hawaiian homesteads, so I have officially entered a hawaiian ward. I finally will get to make good use of my Hawaiian Hymm book I got in Kauai. Most everything is in english, but they usually do atleast one song in Hawaiian.

Some good news about things in Hilo. I managed to get a few copies of pictures from other missionaries, so I still have a couple of pictures from Mauna Kea and a couple of other places. Also, I got a lot of pictures with people as I left, was happy to know that I did make an impact in the wards.

But, onto the present. Kaneohe, Waimanalo, and Olomana. My companion is Elder Simnitt from Portland, Oregon. He is a wonderful kid, and very unique. He was a drama king in high school, and has brought a bit of that with him out here, which makes some things fun, but we are doing really well. He is the fifth in a row from his generation(group he came out with from the MTC) that I have been companions with. He was actually companions with Elder Aldridge and Elder Higley in the MTC, so now I've been companions with all three. I've officially decided that his generation will from now on have to refer to me as Uncle John.

Another funny thing, Elder Aldridge is in my district, so I will get to go on exchanges with him and be companions for a day. It is going to be really interesting.

Right now in our wards, I am still trying to get most things figured out, like who the people are (members and non-members). It seems that our wards aren't extremely involved, and one ward doesn't have a lot of trust for missionaries, because the missionaries haven't cared enough to show that they care about the ward. We have some plans to change this, and I think that these two wards will be amazing. They will probably split the missionaries next transfer though, so I will probably be over only one. But, we are excited about this transfer.

This last Friday I gave my first training as a district leader, and I think it went really well. Our mission president talked to us in our last zone conference about Zion, and how to become Zion. So, I extended the challenge to my district. I asked them to begin with themselves, then move to their companionship. As they did that, I promised they would begin to help their wards, and our district would become more zionlike as well(this is why I left that quote at the start). It was an amazing experience for me, because I felt the spirit so strong telling me what to say. I asked all the companionships to come up with a Standard of Excelence (or weekly goal) that they wanted to achieve for a certain number of our key indicators (lessons, new investigators, etc.). I also asked them to set a goal for the number of baptisms they wanted to have that transfer. Well, as a district we totaled 17 baptisms this transfer. While I was talking to them, I promised them we would reach 20 if they would follow my training and become a zionlike district. I am super excited about this next six weeks.

We actually have a lady who is going to get baptized this next Sunday right after church, and we should be able to commit her husband soon as well (well, i think so... I haven't met either one yet...) And we have six people with a set date right now. I did my first baptisimal interview yesterday, and that was a fun experience. That lady's name is Malia, and she is super solid. One of the companionships in our district is two sister missionaries, and they are doing some amazing work. The only problem is, now I feel super responsible to make sure they are ok and taken care of. I was raised too much of a gentleman.

So, all is going great in Kaneohe. We went on a hike as a zone this morning, and it was a lot of fun. I can feel everyone pulling closer together. It's going to be awesome. Keep up the good work at home, and I love you all!

Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment