Sunday, June 6, 2010

06/01/10

Aloha

First, thank you to all that wished me a happy birthday. It was a very interesting day, but I will try to get to that later.
This was again a week of struggles, but still very good. On Thursday we had 8 appointments schedualed, and only 2 went through. But I guess in the majors a .250 average isn't too bad. It gets frustrating, but fortunately we were able to reschedual most of those appointments for a later day. Also, things didn't go quite as planned for Harley and Charlene. Harley backed out of the baptism, but he still wants to in the future, he just still doesn't feel ready, so we are going to keep working with him.
But Charlene stayed through. I think this all may have been an experience she needed to help her stay strong. She was very scared this last week about getting baptized since her brother backed out. But, when it came down to it, she was able to stick it out, and felt so much better. It was awesome as well for me because I was able to baptize her. It also showed again to me that nothing worthwhile comes easily. This was one of the most meaningful baptisms on my mission so far (Derek's will be the most) because of all of the work we had to put into it. So, I baptized her on Saturday, and then Elder Pontanares confirmed her on Sunday.
Hmm, most of the week has turned into a blur, but Friday.... Friday Elder Simnitt and I were on an exchange. I had set up a lesson with a lady they refered to us named Kevie. We went in with the knowledge that she was a little handicapped (mentally and physically), and that was all. What we found was a very argumentative lady, and it took us a while to get through the restoration. She kept telling us that we wouldn't sway her mind, and asking questions to Elder Simnitt that we couldn't understand. In the end she quieted down, and was very impressed with us. She told Elder Simnitt that he was strong and always stayed on his point, but said that I never flinched at anything that she said and always stayed calm. I guess I am good at controlling my emotions in that sense. It was interesting because she never argued with me, only Elder Simnitt. Anyways, when we said we wanted to come back, she was stunned again, thinking we would run away and never return. But, I have faith that the Lord works miracles, so we'll see.
Anyway, Sunday.... May 30... my birthday. It started out normal, until we got to the church. Then, the bishop asked me if I would do one of the baby blessings for the Hurtado family (the Philppeano famliy we found). So, sacrament we ended up having 3 baby blessings and a confirmation. Yet, with all of this, Our crazy member lady still managed to bear her testimony... but it wasn't too bad... until the end. But, I don't think anyone was too upset.
Afterwards, we went to Derek's to have a lesson with him. He is doing so much missionary work, it is amazing. He wants us to teach his daughter, and while we were there got us to teach his m (who seems very interested, but we'll see if it was an act or not). I can't wait until his baptism.
After that, we ran over to Mina's house (where Harley and Charlene live) to celebrate Charlene's baptism and my birthday by eating a special dinner, called Balut. Balut is a Filippeano dish, that is a hard boiled egg.... oh wait, the egg has had a chicken (or duck) sitting on it for a couple of weeks, so there is an unhatched bird inside. It didn't taste too bad, but the idea is what was gross. A video should be showing up on Facebook soon of it.
But all in all, it was amazing. Things are looking good for the coming weeks as well. I am learning through all the opposition we are facing that if we endure through, the Lord pours out His blessings upon us, we just have to keep going. Thank you all for all the support and love and I love you all!
Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment