Tuesday, March 9, 2010

03/08/10

Aloha

Another week, and more fun stuff! Lets see, brief summary: party, killing a pig, 7th day adventist, arrogant leaders, baptism inverview... I think that is most everything.
Alright, so, the party and killing a pig go together. Derrick had a birthday party for his one-year-old son on Saturday. To let you know, 1st birthdays out here are no small matter. They are HUGE!. Most of the time you can see anywhere from 100-300 people. I think Derrick was planning on arnd 300. So, imagine having to feed that many people. Well, a 400 lb pig can help. Elder Mathews wanted to go help kill and kalua (cooking it in the ground) it. Well, if you don't know, I don't really do well with blood or killing anything that isn't considered a bug, spider, or something like that. So, we went on a split with some other elders, one of which is from Western Samoa (he wanted to kill the pig) and the two squemish companions (me included) went off to do normal missionary work.
The two of us went out to visit a referal we got from provo. Apparently Alex is ready for baptism in Idaho, but his mom is a 7th day adventist. So, we went to see her to convince her to let him get baptized. Well, it seems he doesn't really want to get baptized, just wanted his mom to tell us that he couldn't... even though we have no connection to Alex. So we felt a little bad about that, but then she started to "lay out the law" on the 4th commandment. So, it turns out that she is only a SDA (seventh-day adventist) because they worship on Saturday. She didn't have any problem breaking the 3rd commandment while we were there. And she doesn't really follow any other SDA teachings. It was sad, but hopefully her heart will be softened by the spirit and the stuff we left, and she will realize that the Lord could change the sabbath (fyi, Mormon Doctrine quotes another book saying that after the Exodus, the children of Israel observed the sabbath on a rotating basis, i.e. Saturday one year, then Sunday, then Monday, etc.) My companion was not very happy with her, but it all worked out.
Early that day I had had some fun with our Zone Leaders during our District Leader Training Meeting (DLTM). Well, they spent a little too much time talking about other missionaries, and not really knowing the whole story. So, when they started into Elder Trujillo, I politely, but firmly gave them the rest of the story, and made sure they understood the situation. They quit discussing it after that. That meeting seems to be such a waste of time to me... oh well, I am sure I can learn from it.
Otherwise, our week was amazing. We found several new people to teach, and taught a lot of lessons. We have a few people that we are going to stop teaching because they won't keep any committements. It always seems strange, but it reminds us that the Lord requires us to do our part as well. Also, when those that bring the spirit leave, often people will notice (finally) the spirit and want it in their lives. Hopefully that happens with JJ in the next couple of weeks.
But, life in Hawaii continues on. Elder Mathews steadily improves, and I bought myself some sick board shorts today. They stretch, and are long, so I think I will use them to work out in, and then swim when I get back to USU (I will shower before I swim).
I love you all so much, and am so grateful for your continued support, encouragement, and prayers.
Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment