Wednesday, February 24, 2010

02/22/10

Aloha!

Well, this morning has been an interesting morning. Elder Trujillo and I just came from a funeral of a member who worked with one of the members in our ward. It was a good service, but interesting as I had never met him. Also, I realized this morning that only at mormon funerals do you ever hear people laughing. There seemed to be a fair number of jokes, and I think everyone left with uplifted spirits. Also, I love that whenever a funeral is held at a church, they always have the Plan of Salvation. Isn't it great that we know these truths? And how much do we need to share them.
Other than that, it has been a good week. I went on two exchanges this last week, so it interesting to be away from my companion. He is a good kid, just not overly motivated. We did have a good conversation one morning where he told me that he is starting to get some of the desire back. I think the way I am working with him is helpful to him, and it keeps the work going.
We committed two girls to get baptized this last week: Megyn and Rachyl Miller. They are Mandy's sisters. After them, there is only one more sister, and then the whole family will be ready to be sealed in the temple. It is so awesome to be able to work with families and to see the blessings that the gospel brings into their lives.
Derrick continues to do well. He still has a few concerns that he has to work out (marriage and word of wisdom) but he knows he wants to get baptized, and wants to be with his family forever. We were able to teach him a few times this last week, and he is doing wonderfully. We just need to get a little more fan on the fire to get him to hurry as he needs to.
It is fun to hear of snow from everyone back home. I don't think there was any snow that actually stuck this last year in Hawaii. But I guess there is still time. I wake up a little chilly some mornings....
So, one thing I remembered this last week is that one of our recent converts is friends with the son of the guy that used to own JJ's Froststop in Hurricane (get all that?). What was fun is that he gave us $10 to go buy a snack right in the middle of a lesson we were teaching. That is a fun one to have to explain. He said his dad is over the missionaries, but he isn't a member. Too bad we only see him once every two months.
We also had a good lesson with Jonathan and his wife Ann last night. They have been taking the lessons for a while now, and at one point Jonathan wanted to be baptized, but pulled out. He committed himself last night to continue moving. Actually, he told us that he was moving slowly, and I told him that moving requires some progression. So, he acknowledged that, and is planning on comming to church regularily now. Hurray!!
Other than that, I think all is going well. Remember that if we have "aloha" or love, we may show it in different ways. It doesn't always have to be doing everything for someone, though they may expect it. As a couple members in our ward have learned, love sometimes comes in making them take responsibility. As we take responsibility for our lives, we learn, we grow, and we continue on the path to our Heavenly Father.
As always, thank you all for your continued love, support, and encouragement. I love you all.
Elder Kidd

No comments:

Post a Comment